Do you have gold-plated jewelry, such as gold plated chains, gold plated rings, gold plated necklace and gold plated bracelets? Many times when we go to shopping malls to buy jewelry, the store will enthusiastically introduce to us, this is gold-plated jewelry or gold-filled jewelry. In fact, many merchants do this. In order to achieve the effect of gold jewelry, they will choose to plate or cover the jewelry with gold. In this way, jewelry looks more gorgeous to us, and its price is much cheaper than gold jewelry.
Gold plated vs gold filled
There is a big difference between gold-plated and gold-filled jewelry. It is really good for you to know it so that you can buy the gold jewelry on your own and you will know what you can get. Bottom line your going to pay a little bit more for gold filled jewelry, but it will stand the test of time, while, gold-plated jewelry is more cheaper but short time for stand.
Gold plating is divided into two types, one is homogeneous material gold plating, and the other is heterogeneous material gold plating. Homogeneous material gold plating refers to the gold plating treatment on the surface of gold jewelry. Its meaning is to improve the brightness and color of jewelry. Heterogeneous material gold plating refers to the surface of non-gold materials bursting into gold plating treatment, such as silver gold plating, copper gold plating. Its meaning is to replace the color of the plated material with the luster of gold, so as to improve the ornamental effect of the jewelry.
The gold plating process is to plate a minuscule layer of gold on the base metal (usually brass). The amount of real gold that is used is actually so tiny that its technically considered unmeasurable. But over time, its surface will be worn away by us, so time is not particularly long-lasting.
Gold-filled jewelry is made by wrapping layers of pure gold (14K, 12K or 18K) sheets around a base metal (usually brass). Unlike gold-plated jewelry, there is actually a measurable amount of gold in filled gold jewelry. This process of adhering a solid gold sheet keeps the jewelry from tarnishing, flaking, chipping or fading. If your filled gold jewelry ever tarnishes, this is usually just due to dust buildup and can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Also, unlike silver, it does not tarnish.
How to maintain gold-plated jewelry
Before discussing how to clean gold-plated jewelry, we first discuss how to make gold plated jewelry lasting.
Because gold-plated jewelry wears off, you want the jewelry to maintain its luster and wear it with the following in mind:
- When doing jobs, pay attention to take off the gold-plated jewelry, so that you can avoid sweating to impregnate the jewelry, so that the color of the necklace changes, resulting in unattractive results.
- When washing, such as bathing and washing face can not be worn, especially do not let the gold-plated jewelry contact hot water, which will lead to a certain change in the color of the jewelry.
- The surface of gold-plated jewelry is plated with a layer of gold-like substances, no matter how strong, are not as good as the real gold does not change color, so when wearing must be careful not to rub with other things, in addition to the collection, also be careful not to put together with other jewelry, so as not to rub off the surface of the plating.
- Some of the gold-plated jewelry is less hard, so in the process of taking off and wearing need to be a little careful to avoid breaking or hanging off the situation.
Gold-plated necklaces are popular because of their color and luster. Here are a few ways to clean them:
- Use a jewelry cleaner available in the market or soak it in a solution of soap and warm water, and then gently brush it with a soft cloth.
- Of course, you can also choose to take it to a specialized gold jewelry store for cleaning.
- If the gold-plated jewelry blackened, and also can not be cleaned, then it is likely that the surface of the plating is destroyed by the metal inside, because the gold plating is very thin, so to restore the product to the original gold only to send the product to the plating processing plant to re-plating first.
Gold-plated jewelry is popular because it is affordable and lustrous. To make gold-plated jewelry last longer, it needs to be taken care of and maintained. If you have any questions, we will do our best to help you.